No. 17 Gators sweep Texas A&M in a four-set victory

Florida led the game in blocks with 17 to end the match

The Florida volleyball team celebrates a point during their match against the #1 ranked Wisconsin Badgers on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2023.

Florida lost set one to Texas A&M in a pivotal defensive battle. Set two, however, brought the Gators back to life, and from then on, everything seemed to go Florida’s way. 

UF senior outside hitter Sophia Victoria sealed the match point for the Gators with back-to-back kills assisted by graduate student setter Kennedy Muff. Florida began to celebrate before the team had reached match point due the Aggies 12-point deficit. 

In the final moments, Victoria smashed a kill to earn Florida set point, and then launched a fierce kill to win the match. 

The No. 17 Florida Gators (13-4, 5-3 SEC) beat the Texas A&M Aggies (14-5, 6-3 SEC) 3-1 Friday on the road at College Station, Texas in Reed Arena. 

Texas A&M started quickly in set one to earn the first two points with a service ace and a service error from UF senior outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick. The Gators quickly worked their way into the match with kills from freshman outside hitter Kennedy Martin, and junior middle blocker Gabrielle Essix. 

An attack error from Texas A&M redshirt-freshman opposite player Ital Lopuyo put Florida in the lead 7-6. The Aggies retook their lead 11-8 with back-to-back kills on a 3-0 scoring run. 

A service ace from Fitzpatrick tied the game at 12 a piece. A fierce kill from senior outside hitter Sophia Victoria pushed the Gators score to 15-14. 

The Aggies continued to lead late into the set with powerful defensive plays in which Florida failed to make the point-saving dives. A service ace from Texas A&M sophomore libero Ava Underwood hit a service ace and sealed set point 24-23. 

A kill from Texas A&M freshman outside hitter Bianna Munoneke secured the match point for a set one victory, 25-23. 

Florida led early into set two with a 3-1 lead after a series of service errors from the Aggies. A kill from Martin pushed the Gators’ lead to 6-4 as Florida continued to dominate. However, a series of Florida attack errors let the Aggies take advantage and gain their first lead of the game 11-9. 

Victoria sealed a kill to tie the game at 15 a piece. A forceful block from Essix brought Florida back in the lead 17-16. The Aggies responded and regained their lead on a 3-0 scoring run. 

Florida answered with a kill from Fitzpatrick to put the Gators back in the lead. A dual block assist from Martin and Essix sealed the match point to take the win in set two, 25-23. 

The Gators' momentum from set two carried through into set three with a 4-0 scoring run. Martin sealed a kill to hold onto its five point lead 11-6. Texas A&M fought back and pushed its score to 13-10.

After a call on whether both the teams touched the ball at the same time, the challenge was favored for Florida as Victoria was shown on the replay to have pushed the ball upwards above the Texas A&M player, not directly into the block. 

A service ace from graduate student setter Kennedy Muff sealed set point for the Gators. Martin launched a kill to secure the win for Florida, 25-21. 

The Aggies continued to fall behind as everything seemed to be going the Gators' way early into set four. A kill from UF senior middle blocker Nnedi Okammor pushed the Gators' lead to 12-7. 

Kills from Fitzpatrick made it close for the Gators, just four points away from closing out the match 21-11. Back-to-back kills from Victoria gave Florida a set point, shortly after, she finished off the match with a fierce kill to win set four, 25-12. 

UF will play Ole Miss at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The game will be streamed on ESPN+. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr.  

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.