Saturday, July 27, 2024

Florida quarterback Max Brown to enter the transfer portal

Redshirt freshman signal caller started one game for the Gators

Redshirt freshman quarterback Max Brown runs the ball in the Gators' 24-15 loss to the Florida State Seminoles on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023.

Florida redshirt freshman quarterback Max Brown is expected to enter the transfer portal, according to Hayes Fawcett of On3. 

Brown played in six games this season for the Gators. He made his first career start in the season finale against then-No. 5 Florida State. Against one of the top defenses in college football, Brown nearly led Florida to an upset victory.

Florida led 12-0 at one point in the game, but eventually, the Gators fell 24-15 to the rival Seminoles. Brown completed nine of 16 passes for 86 yards and an interception. He was also sacked six times in the loss.

The previous week against Missouri, Brown replaced redshirt junior quarterback Graham Mertz who suffered a second-half collarbone injury. Brown did enough to put Florida in position to win with 56 passing yards and 42 rushing yards in a two-point loss.

Brown signed with the Gators as part of head coach Billy Napier’s first recruiting class in 2022. The Tulsa, Oklahoma, product was a late riser in the recruiting process. He originally committed to play for former Florida head coach Jim McElwain at Central Michigan before Napier offered a spot. 

Brown served as the backup quarterback this season, but the Gators’ quarterback room was going to get crowded next year. Five-star recruit DJ Lagway, the 17th-ranked player in the 247Sports Composite rankings, is set to sign with Florida this season.

Mertz is also expected to return to Gainesville after an impressive first season with Florida. He set new career highs for passing yards, passing touchdowns and completion percentage while setting a new career low for interceptions.

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.