No. 20 Gators fall to No. 11 Tennessee in five sets

Kennedy Martin led the game in kills with 28

Graduate student setter Kennedy Muff sets the ball in the Gators' 3-2 loss to the Tennessee Volunteers on Friday, Nov. 3, 2023.

The Gators looked to have found their groove in set one with powerful plays from graduate student setter Kennedy Muff and freshman outside hitter Kennedy Martin. The offensive duo grabbed each other and smiled as they collectively dominated set one. 

Both teams battled intensely in the crucial SEC match, but in the final moments of set five, attack errors held Florida at a low. Martin fought to keep the game alive but fell short in the final moment when she made a service error to lose the match. 

The No. 20 Florida Gators (14-6, 6-5 SEC) lost to the No. 11 Tennessee Lady Volunteers (19-3, 10-2 SEC) 3-2 Friday evening in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. 

The Gators started on the right foot in set one as they earned the first two points due to Tennessee attack errors. The Lady Vols quickly took the lead with a slow start from Florida defensively. 

UF senior outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick sealed the first kill of the game for the Gators to bring them back into the match. A fierce kill from Martin tied the game at eight apiece. 

Two consecutive kills from UF senior middle block Nnedi Okammor and senior outside hitter Sophia Victoria triggered a four-point scoring run for Florida. The Gators regained their lead 12-9 and continued to dominate over the Lady Vols. 

Tennessee responded to its three-point deficit as they fought its way back into the game to reclaim the lead. A series of Florida attack errors allowed the Lady Vols to take advantage. 

However, the back-and-forth battle led to a four-point scoring run for the Gators with two straight service aces from Martin. UF junior middle blocker Gabrielle Essix held Tennessee as she made powerful blocks in which the Lady Vols were unable to get the ball past the net. 

A service ace from UF sophomore libero Emily Canaan put the Gators at set point and a deep center kill from Victoria to win set one 25-23. 

Set two proved to be a slow start for Florida as Tennessee scored the first two points. A kill from Martin brought the Gators back into the game, but UF continued to fall short defensively on point-saving dives. 

Florida fell into a nine-point deficit and failed to make the plays defensively in the back court where the Lady Vols found their success. Tennessee fired up and pushed their lead to 21-11 in the final moments. 

An effort from Victoria to make a kill was shot down, but shortly after she scored a kill with hopes to keep Florida’s chances alive. 

The Lady Vols then took set two 25-14 after a series of Florida attack errors gave them the advantage in the final moments. 

Florida responded to its loss in set two with a quick start. Kills from Victoria and Martin gave UF an early slim lead, 9-7. The fueled-up Gators went on to score a six-point scoring run with three consecutive kills from Victoria. 

A dual block from Okammor and Martin kept Tennessee from scoring and in a deficit. A kill delivered from Okammor put the Gators within five of match point. Martin sealed her 16th kill of the game to secure a set point for Florida. 

A service ace from Fitzpatrick sealed the 25-20 set three victory for the Gators. 

Florida kept their momentum strong at the start of set four with back-to-back kills from Fitzpatrick. A series of Florida attack errors however allowed the Lady Vols to claim the lead 15-12. 

UF tied it up at 15 apiece with a kill from Martin. Tennessee reclaimed its lead with a kill from Lady Vols junior outside hitter Erykah Lovett. A kill from Martin brought the game close 22-21 with hopes to close out set four with a victory. 

Okammor sealed a new career high of 12 kills to tie the game at 22 apiece. The Lady Vols sealed a kill to win set four 25-23 and keep their chances alive in set five. 

UF took the lead early with a powerful kill from Victoria. Tennessee battled offensively and seeped kills through open Florida gaps to take an 8-6 lead. Victoria found her way with two kills to bring them within one of the Lady Vols. 

Martin tied the game at 11 apiece with a three-run scoring streak. An attack error from Martin hit set point for the Lady Vols. A service error from Martin closed out the match with a match win for Tennessee 15-13. 

UF will play the No. 13 Kentucky Wildcats at 3 p.m. Sunday. The game will be broadcast on ESPN. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.