Florida softball wins 7-1, sweeps Kentucky

Skylar Wallace recorded her eighth home run of the season

The Florida softball team celebrates a home run in the team's game against Indiana University on Sunday, March 17, 2024.

After consecutive run-rule wins, Florida’s high-powered offense continued to shine in Sunday’s matchup, recording seven runs on seven hits.

And in the circle, freshman right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock took control, something she’s done all year for the Gators. She threw a complete game with two strikeouts, allowing one run and four hits.

“I think my first start against Alabama, I felt a little shaky but I was a lot more confident coming in this weekend,” she said.

Behind Rothrock’s stellar pitching performance and the continued offensive production, the No. 10 Gators (29-4, 5-1 SEC) defeated the No. 23 Kentucky Wildcats (20-11, 0-6 SEC) 7-1 Sunday to earn a sweep. 

“We’ve had some younger players really step up and we’ve had some older players step up,” head coach Tim Walton said. “I don’t think they are playing above their potential, I think they are gelling well.”

The Gators attacked first in the bottom half of the first inning. Redshirt senior Skylar Wallace and junior center fielder Kendra Falby worked back-to-back walks before sophomore catcher Jocelyn Erickson delivered a single to the left-field gap to score Wallace and Falby.

The offensive momentum continued in the bottom of the second as the Gators recorded three runs on four hits. Freshman second baseman Mia Williams led off the second inning with a double down the third base line.

With the lineup flipping back to the top of the order, Falby roped a double to left field. Then, Wallace beat out an infield single to score Williams from third.

Erickson then notched another RBI single, and a wild pitch scored Wallace to extend the lead to 5-0.

Walton said what’s unique about the Gators offense is how deep the lineup is.

“The depth of the lineup is in right-handed, left-handed power speed,” he said. ”Korbe Otis dropped a beautiful bunt there in the sixth inning. It’s little things like that that keep us pretty balanced.”

The next three innings remained scoreless as both teams fought back-and-forth, refusing to give up a run. Kentucky retired the Gators in order in the fourth and fifth.

The Wildcats offense threatened in the top of the sixth.

With runners on first and second, Kentucky sophomore infielder Lauryn Borzilleri smashed a ball that bounced off the top of the center field wall. However, the Gators converted a perfect relay to get the runner at home. 

Despite dealing with the bases loaded with no outs, Rothrock stayed calm in the circle. She delivered her second strikeout of the game to earn the first out. However, Kentucky got on the board with a sacrifice fly, though it's all the Wildcats would score.

“I stay patient knowing that I can still throw something that I can get an out with or get them to swing through without overdoing it,” Rothrock said. “If I’m overdoing it, then they are waiting on it and potentially walking, and that’s not what we are looking for.”

Florida responded with two runs to extend the lead to 7-1. Wallace smashed her eighth home run of the season to right center field.

“I think we have a lot of grit and our chemistry is one of the best that I’ve experienced while being here,” the senior said.

Rothrock forced a fly out to center field to end the game, recording a complete game.

Next, Florida will hit the road to face Mississippi State in a three-game series. Game 1 is at 6 p.m. Thursday.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.