Gainesville City Hall vandalized for a third time

Gainesville Police Department is actively investigating

An unidentified individual maliciously smashed a window on Gainesville Mayor Harvey Ward’s first floor office, leaving a note allegedly filled with threats and racist language, according to a city press release.

This is the second vandalism incident this month with a “hate driven” note, City Commissioner Bryan Eastman said in a post on X. 

The first incident occurred March 6 at the Old Library Building, and involved a broken window and threatening note, Assistant Police Chief Nelson Moya said.

This specific act of vandalism occurred in light of recent DEI initiatives in Gainesville, Eastman said. 

Along with the two incidents of vandalism, a third broken window recently discovered at City Hall Plaza is also under active investigation, Moya said. 

The Gainesville Police Department is investigating the incidents, but declined to comment further. It is actively pursuing leads, GPD Spokesperson Brandon Hatzel said.

Ward denounced all forms of discrimination, harassment and racial violence in his press release. He encourages citizens of the city of Gainesville to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings.

“I will not disclose the specific contents,” Ward said in a press release. “Let me be clear, the situation is serious and of highest concern.”

Despite these acts of vandalism, Ward pledges his full commitment to the city in taking all steps necessary to protect and support citizens.

“A broken window and ugly note will not shake our resolve.” He said.

Ward will address the incidents at City Hall Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.

Contact Kairi Lowery at klowery@alligator.org. Follow her on X @kairiloweryy

Kairi Lowery

Kairi Lowery is a second-year journalism major and a metro general assignment reporter for The Alligator. When she's not writing you can find her lounging on the beach with a book or collecting vinyls.