No. 4 Gators dominate in final meet of regular season

Sloane Blakely earned an all-around score of 39.625

Florida gymnastics celebrates senior night Friday, March 15, 2024.

UF junior Leanne Wong shined in her routine on the uneven parallel bars in a moment where a high score was much needed. Despite the Gators’ struggles to make stuck landings, Wong kept her teammates afloat. 

Her performance earned immense support from the crowd with chants that screamed “10,10.” While her routine did not score a 10, the energy from the crowd carried through within the other routines that followed. 

Her teammates beamed and cheered her on as she earned a 9.975, and all the emotions seemed to flow as the regular season came to an end. 

The No. 4 Florida Gators gymnastics team (17-1, 6-1 SEC) defeated Iowa State, Long Island University and No. 18 North Carolina State with a score of 197.900 Friday evening in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center in its last regular season meet. The win also symbolizes Florida head coach Jenny Rowland as the first coach in the SEC with over 200 career wins.

NC State recorded 196.825, Iowa State scored 195.825 and LIU finished with a 192.025. 

The meet celebrated Florida’s four seniors: Chloi Clark, Ellie Lazzari, Michala Magee and Payton Richards. 

“I am extremely proud of this team, and where they start and where they are today,” Florida head coach Jenny Rowland said. “I am excited for what is to be a very exciting and memorable postseason.”

UF freshman Skylar Draser opened up for the Gators with a seamless vault routine where she executed a near-perfect landing and earned a 9.950. Senior Ellie Lazzari struggled with her dismount, falling to the ground. However, her teammates rushed to her side, celebrating her despite the low score. 

Senior Victoria Nguyen helped bring back the momentum for the Gators with her flawless routine and her close-to-perfection stuck landing. Freshman Danie Ferris brought the energy with her vault routine, glistening in the air off her jump to make a controlled landing. 

Junior Sloane Blakely dominated on the uneven parallel bars to start the apparatus. Her well-equipped routine earned her a 9.90. Lazzari brought the crowd to its feet with her performance despite losing balance for a moment in between flipping bars. She earned a 9.650 on her routine. 

Wong rocked her routine on the bars as she stuck a perfect landing. She earned a 9.975, the highest score in the apparatus. 

Draser opened on the beam for Florida with a graceful routine, but her uneasy stuck landing earned her a 9.825. Blakely brought the heat with her routine, keeping her composure on the beam and making an all-around collected stuck landing which earned her a 9.925. 

“I just tried to stay my own, and I know that my coaches and teammates believe in me, and so that gives me even more confidence,” Blakely said. 

Nguyen continued the fiery momentum in her routine with a series of backflips and spins, but she became unsteady during one of her jumps which left the Gators with another 9.825. Freshman Alyssa Arana closed out the apparatus with a score to match Blakely’s 9.925 and left the crowd puzzled with her performance. 

To start the floor routine, Nguyen dazzled in her performance, allowing the classical music to move her across the mat. She earned the second slot in the apparatus with a 9.925. Pilgrim plunged into the air to start her routine, and her high-strung jumps earned her a 9.90. 

Blakely smiled immensely during her routine, excelling in her performance and leaving the crowd in awe with her uniquely high jumps and spins. She earned a 9.925. The final performances pushed Florida's score and allowed it to maintain its lead. 

The Gators closed out the meet in first place with a 197.900 score on senior night. 

Next, UF will head to New Orleans, Louisiana, for the SEC Championships March 23. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on X @abrittonharr.  

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.