Way back at the beginning of the year, "Spider-Man 4" was scrapped in favor of an entire 3-D reboot. Not long after that Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer") was officially announced to direct the upcoming new film for everyone's favorite web-slinger.

Over the summer we learned who would be taking Tobey Maguire's place and donning the red and blue tights. Andrew Garfield, who can currently be seen in the popular film "The Social Network" as Eduardo Saverin, will be playing Spider-Man up on the silver screen.

The only thing I found interesting in Garfield receiving the coveted role was that he is 27 years old and the plan for the reboot is to take Peter Parker back to his high school days. Seeing as how Garfield just got finished playing a college student, that can make things a bit tricky.

It has been some time since then - but more casting updates have been revealed, including the love interest and villain.

Emma Stone, of "Superbad" and "Easy A," will be cast as the female lead. While you may be thinking she will make a great Mary Jane, I'm here to tell you she won't be playing the fiery redhead. Disappointing, I know - but she will be a lovable blonde instead.

Do you recall Bryce Dallas Howard's role in "Spider-Man 3"? I know we're all trying to wipe that film but memory, but can you remember he character? That's right - Peter Parker's first true love Gwen Stacy.

While I really wanted to see Emma Stone as MJ, having her as Gwen Stacy could prove a major difference for Webb's "Spider-Man" from Raimi's. But does this mean MJ won't be in the film or will show up later? If you aren't big into Spider-Man lore then you might not know what happens to Gwen in the comics.

Don't worry though - I won't spoil it for you.

But if you're still lost on who Gwen Stacy is and want to learn all the spoilers, read this refreshing update on the character from MTV News.

Come back for more later as I update on who the villain will be for the new "Spider-Man," which is set to hit theaters in 3-D on July 3, 2012.