Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man was accused Thursday of killing a man behind the Eighth Ave Food Store last week.

Gainesville Police arrested James Eugene Boykins, 20, on a warrant for the alleged murder of Montez Davis and attempted murder of another woman, according to a Gainesville Police press release.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force assisted Gainesville Police in finding Boykins and arresting him, the release said.

On March 9 at 12:12 a.m., Gainesville Police responded to a man being shot behind the Eighth Ave Food Store, at 1634 NE Eighth Ave., according to a police Facebook post. They found Montez Davis shot to death and a woman who had been shot. She was rushed to the hospital and is in stable condition.

Witnesses said there was an argument before the shooting, the post said.

Boykins is being charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, murder and attempted murder, the release said.

He has been transported to the Alachua County Jail and will be assigned a bail amount this morning.

Police are asking for anybody who knows of evidence for the case to contact Alachua County Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP or Detective J. Castor at 352-393-7681 or 352-872-2101.