Alachua County COVID-19 cases reach 71; UF reports one more case

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Editor's Note: If you think you might have COVID-19, contact the Alachua County Health Department at (352) 334-7900 or the Student Health Care Center at (352) 392-1161.  The Alligator doesn’t have information about the names of these county and UF patients due to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, more commonly known as HIPAA, which protects patient privacy.

Alachua County reported three new positive cases of COVID-19 this morning, bringing the total to 71. 

The new confirmed cases, all Florida residents, are a 45-year-old female, a 28-year-old male and a 22-year-old female, according to the Florida Department of Health’s daily report. None of the cases has any travel details listed.  

The department’s online dashboard continues to be inconsistent with its data. The number of hospitalizations in the county jumped from six to 10 today, according to the dashboard tab that shows Florida cases. However, the tab that shows county cases only shows nine for Alachua County.    

Yesterday, Ken Garcia, spokesperson for UF Health, confirmed that a total of seven patients were being treated for the virus at UF Health Shands Hospital. 

UF also reported one more positive case of the virus this morning. The individual an undergraduate student in the College of Engineering living in off-campus housing marks the university’s 29th confirmed case. 

Florida’s positive cases, which passed 4,000 yesterday, now total at 4,246 with 4,077 being Florida residents. 

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)