<p><span>Gainesville Fire Rescue saved a construction worker who was trapped underneath one-to-two feet of dirt at the Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center Thursday morning. Courtesy to The Alligator</span></p>

Gainesville Fire Rescue saved a construction worker who was trapped underneath one-to-two feet of dirt at the Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center Thursday morning. Courtesy to The Alligator

A construction worker was trapped underneath one-to-two feet of dirt when Gainesville Fire Rescue saved him Thursday morning.

At about 9 a.m., the man was working on a boiler plant project for the Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, at 1601 SW Archer Rd., said spokesperson Daniel Henry.

The worker was inside a hole when the dirt around him collapsed, said Tracey Higdon, Gainesville Fire spokesperson.

He was not visible from the top, according to a Gainesville Fire Rescue press release.

GFR used shovels and their hands to locate his head, the release said. He was unconscious but breathing when they found him.

He began to regain consciousness as fire rescue uncovered him, the release said. The rescue was completed in 20 minutes.

He was complaining of leg issues when he was released, Higdon said.

The worker was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital in stable condition, the release said.

Contact Katherine Wallace-Fernandez at kwallace-fernandez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @katwf98.