Students can now donate professional clothes to help students land jobs.

The Gator Career Closet could open as soon as March, said UF Student Body Treasurer Nicholas Carre. 

He said Student Government and the Dean of Students Office will launch a social media campaign Feb. 9 to inform students when and where they can donate clothes. 

He said donated suits, shirts and ties are being held in SG offices. 

The closet will move to a permanent location on the second floor of Peabody Hall. 

Carre, who helped start the closet, said students will be able to borrow clothes for multiple interviews for up to a week. 

“We don’t want to have a burden on them if they have other events they have to attend,” Carre said. 

When the closet opens, clothes will be cleaned about once a week, he said. 

Carre said he wanted to open the closet to give marginalized students the chance get jobs.

“To do that, you have to go interview,” he said. “You have to have access to these items, and so many students don’t have access.”

Taylor Oliver, a UF exploratory freshman, said she didn’t bring professional clothing when she came to UF. 

“Coming in as a freshman, it wasn’t really something I thought about,” the 18-year-old said. “I think this would really benefit those who couldn’t afford professional clothing in the first place.”