Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Speaking to a crowd of 50 people, Allie Beth Stuckey said the left is a group of bullies.

“The more we act like them, the more they win,” Stuckey said.

The UF chapter of the Young Americans for Freedom, a conservative student group, partnered with the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute to host Allie Beth Stuckey, a conservative speaker, blogger and commentator, to speak at UF Monday evening in McCarty Hall.  

Stuckey started off with a joke that she’d be a Gator for the night, even though her husband attended the University of Georgia.

Stuckey focused her speech on voting in the midterms and the differences between conservatives and Democrats. She denounced the idea a “blue tsunami” of voters would turn out for the midterm election to vote for Democrats to fill positions in Congress. On election day, Republicans took control of the U.S. Senate and Democrats took control of the U.S. House of Representatives, according to The New York Times, like Stuckey predicted.

Voter enthusiasm for Democrats was much higher in July than it is was for the midterm elections, Stuckey said. She said the change was because of the nomination and hearing of Brett Kavanaugh.

“We have seen once and for all, maybe in the most poignant way ever, the ugliness of the left and their ability to go lower than we ever thought possible, their willingness to ruin a man’s life based on unsubstantiated, uncorroborated allegations,” Stuckey said.

Bernie Sanders’ message of loving those in the lower class convinced Victor Santos vote for him in the 2015 primary election.

Later, the 22-year-old UF advertising junior began reading books by authors like Adam Smith and Frédéric Bastiat, he said. The conservative ideas the books explained America's problems in a way that Santos could understand. Now, Santos is the vice president for the UF Young Americans for Freedom.

“Being a conservative gives you more liberty to make your own choices in life,” Santos said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney