Gainesville Whole Foods employee tests positive for COVID-19

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

An employee at the Whole Foods Market in Gainesville has tested positive for COVID-19.

The team member, who is employed at the Amazon-owned store located in Butler Town Center at 3490 SW Archer Rd., is currently self-quarantining, a company spokesperson confirmed by email with The Alligator today. Citing privacy concerns, the spokesperson declined to say when the employee tested positive.

All Whole Foods team members sent home to self-quarantine or diagnosed with COVID-19 will receive up to an additional two weeks of paid time off, according to the company’s website. The company is also offering unlimited call-outs for employees unable or unwilling to work their scheduled shifts.

To help curb the spread of COVID-19, Whole Foods has implemented daily temperature screenings for team members in stores and facilities across the U.S and is requiring employees on the job to wear face masks, according to their website. Masks are being distributed to the employees across stores at the beginning of each shift. 

Yesterday, The Alligator reported that two Publix employees in Gainesville had tested positive for COVID-19. Unlike Whole Foods employees, Publix workers will be required to wear face masks at work starting tomorrow.

“The safety of our Team Members and customers is our top priority and we are diligently following all guidance from local health and food safety authorities,” a statement from Whole Foods read.

Contact Alex DeLuca at adeluca@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @AlexLDeLuca.  

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)