Gov. Ron DeSantis signs education bill that will raise teacher salaries statewide

<p>Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Wednesday that he said<span id="docs-internal-guid-bb1ef908-7fff-ecf7-5a7d-ad950f56310f"><span>&nbsp;hopes incentivize more people to pursue teaching.&nbsp;</span></span></p>

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Wednesday that he said hopes incentivize more people to pursue teaching. 

Teachers across Florida may soon be getting a raise.

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill at a Wednesday press conference that will increase public school teachers’ salaries. The bill provides $500 million to teachers in the state, according to DeSantis. He also spoke about $100 million for experienced teachers, but did not specify how much time a teacher must work to be considered experienced.

The bill will bring Florida from No. 26 to No. 5 for average minimum teacher salary, the governor said.

With teacher base pay increased to $47,500 per year, he said he hopes the decision incentivizes more people to pursue teaching. The bill will go into effect July 1.

Richard Corcoran, the state commissioner of education, called DeSantis “the education governor” and said the bill is the largest teacher compensation package in the history of the state.

During the press conference, the governor also reminded people to wear masks, practice hygiene and maintain social distancing. He said there’s a “really rapid transmission” of COVID-19 in 18 to 24 year olds and that he believes the virus is transmitting quicker. He also said parts of the state have seen a decline in the severity of cases.

DeSantis didn’t mention today’s statewide increase of more than 5,500 new cases.

Contact Grethel at gaguila@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @GrethelAguila.