<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-892285f1-a823-3b92-1fb3-f1fb090e0ca2"><span>Gainesville Mayor Lauren Poe takes a selfie with city workers in front of Gainesville City Hall, located at 200 E. University Ave., on Thursday. Poe and city commissioners gave flowers to thank workers for helping after Hurricane Irma.</span></span></p>

Gainesville Mayor Lauren Poe takes a selfie with city workers in front of Gainesville City Hall, located at 200 E. University Ave., on Thursday. Poe and city commissioners gave flowers to thank workers for helping after Hurricane Irma.

The view rappelling down the side of Celebration Pointe’s tallest building won’t compare to Switzerland, but Mayor Lauren Poe is ready to make another jump years after his first try.

In support of affordable housing, Poe and others will dangle off the side of the 5001 building in the new shopping plaza this Friday.

Alachua Habitat for Humanity will host the event from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to raise money for the organization’s affordable homeownership program, said Jocelyn Peskin, the group’s resource development director. The program partners with families to build them low-cost housing, she said.

The organization partnered with Over the Edge, which has set up more than 700 similar events internationally.

“I’ve been able to go to many homes that (Habitat for Humanity has) built, it’s a life-changing experience for those families,” Poe said.

People who raise $1,000, nicknamed “edgers,” can dangle off the building for five to 15 minutes, Peskin said.

The organization’s fundraising goal is $30,000, but so far they only have half, she said.

Poe will rappel at 1:30 p.m., and city commissioners Helen Warren and Harvey Ward will go at noon. A total of 36 people will rappel.

First Magnitude Brewing will also be at the event with a beer tasting tent and KISS 105.3 with music and a live broadcast, Peskin said.

“The need in Alachua County for affordable housing is so great,” Peskin said. “We work towards permanent solutions to affordable housing every day.”