After being unable to find a pre-legal society focused on minority students, two UF women decided to start their own club.

The UF Minority Pre-Legal Society is a new undergraduate club for pre-law minority students of all kinds, said Olivia Ingram, a 19-year-old UF criminology and African-American studies sophomore and co-founder of the club.

Ingram said the club will focus on students from various underrepresented areas, including gender, race and sexuality.

“I think it is important to be surrounded by those who understand your story and that can show you different ways to be successful,” Ingram said.

Ingram and co-founder Savanha Renald, a UF sociology and African-American studies sophomore, said existing legal societies were not catering to the needs of black women. They want their legal society to provide resources, give career advice and connect with other minority law groups.

“The population of students of color is sometimes forgotten,” Renald, 19, said. “We’re here as well.”

UF’s Minority Pre-Legal Society has 48 potential members and is hoping to expand, Renald said.

Amanda Bello, a 20-year-old UF English junior, said she plans to join the club because of her Cuban heritage.

“My background is focused on my diversity,” said Bello. “A lot of minorities can say the same thing because we have a similar background story — a story within a struggle.”