Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

Election season is just beginning for UF Student Government members hopefuls.

At the end of September, students will head to the polls to elect 50 new student senators. People interested in becoming a senator can start interviewing with parties beginning this Thursday.

Students interested in filling those seats, which are based on their Gainesville addresses, can interview with SG parties 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Supervisor of Elections Henry Fair said. The interviews will take place in the third floor SG office, 3000A, at the Reitz Union.

Interviews will continue 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Tuesday in the same location, he said.

Interested students should bring their Gator 1 Card and will be asked to fill out paperwork during interview times, Fair said. Students who wish to run as an independent candidate must also complete the paperwork but don’t have to stay for an interview, Fair said.

The SG parties Impact and Inspire will be interviewing students.

“Prepare for it as it would be a job interview,” Fair said.

To be eligible for the position, students must be registered at UF as a full-time student and be a resident of the area they wish to represent, Fair said. Undergraduate students need a minimum 2.5 overall GPA, and graduate students need a minimum 3.0 overall GPA.

A student will be deemed ineligible to run if he or she has had a conduct violation, financial obligations to the university or been impeached in another SG position, Fair said.

Inspire Party is looking for students who have a desire to make change, Inspire Party President Ashley Grabowski said.   

“We really want to find students that are active in their community and are passionate about actually fighting for something they care about,” Grabowski said.   

Impact Party is looking for students who have passion and ideas to bring to the role of a senator, Impact Party campaign manager Brett Oehrle said.

“There’s not any one formula that produces the perfect candidate,” Oehrle said. “People bring different things to the table.”

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney