sabrina
sabrina

There’s a new witch in town, and Sabrina is flying onto everyone's Netflix watchlist.

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is now on Netflix, and the spooky comic book adaptation has fans waiting for the production company to conjure up another season.

On Oct. 26, Netflix released the dark adaptation of “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” Fans of the original story will find "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" to be unlike the light-hearted TV series starring Melissa Joan Hart.

In this reimagined version, Kiernan Shipka, who portrays Sabrina Spellman, is forced to choose between the life of a witch or a human, but Sabrina wants both.

The show is based on the original “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” comic book series, which debuted in 1962, set in the small town of Greendale, which is somewhere in the “Riverdale” universe.

One major plot difference in this adaptation is the story of Salem the Cat. In earlier adaptations, the cat was a sarcastic warlock punished for abusing magic while trying to take over the world. However, in the new Netflix drama, Salem does not speak and comes to Sabrina after she asks the dark spirits for a familiar animal protector and confidant.

Since its release, the series has received high praise from most of its viewers. Many have noted the similarities in the production and filming of this show to Ryan Murphy’s “American Horror Story: Coven,” and IndieWire called it “deliciously macabre.” Others have credited the acting of Shipka and her ability to portray the determination and innocence of Sabrina so well throughout the series.

While there is no word yet on the remaining plot of the series, many have come to the conclusion that (based on the ending of the first season) Salem will be able to talk in upcoming episodes. One of the biggest disappointments for fans was the lack of commentary from Salem.

Although a non-audible Salem was considered sad, the role of sarcastic warlock has been slightly filled by Sabrina’s cousin in the new series, Ambrose (Chance Perdomo), who is bound to the Spellman grounds as punishment for refusing to give up his co-conspirators after a failed attempt to blow up the Vatican.

According to Cosmopolitan, when the series began initial filming in March 2018, they started filming episodes for season two as well. Reports say season two will premiere in early 2019.