UFitness: 10 things you should keep in your gym bag

<p>Students work out in Southwest Recreational Center on Thursday afternoon. The gym was one of nine recognized by the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association as an outstanding sports facility.</p>

Students work out in Southwest Recreational Center on Thursday afternoon. The gym was one of nine recognized by the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association as an outstanding sports facility.

There are only 24 hours in a day, and sometimes we feel like we desperately need more time. When you have to hit the gym in between work or class, a gym bag becomes your best friend.

Here are the top 10 things you should keep in your gym bag to help prepare for any on-the-go workout.

1. Headphones

If you don’t already carry headphones for those long walks across campus, you may want to throw some in your gym bag. I don’t know about you, but listening to slamming weights and struggle-grunts doesn’t really get me in my zone.

2. Armband

Some people have pockets to hold their music devices. Others are less fortunate, like girls, who wear tight, pocket-less gym clothes. When we find ourselves in these situations, an armband to store your phone or iPod in can be useful.

3. A prepared meal

This is very important. You will be awfully hungry after the gym. You don’t want to give in to the temptations of all the fast food on campus, especially after you just worked out!

4. Protein shake/bar

Drinking or consuming protein within 45 minutes after you work out is vital. If you want to build mass, you need to consume protein.

5. Gloves

I’m talking about workout gloves. Now I know that for some people, calluses display their hard work and dedication. Other people, however, don’t like the look and don’t want rough hands.

6. Rag

Some people sweat more than others, and it can really get distracting if you feel like your swimming in sweat while you work out. For those who tend to sweat a lot, you should use a rag to wipe your face and the gym equipment.

7. Headband

OK, I know what you’re thinking: headbands went away with the ‘80s. Even though they may seem a little out of style, headbands keep your hair and sweat out of your face better than a hair tie. Remember: it’s not a fashion show.

8. Shower supplies

Most people tend to shower at the gym. You don’t want to be sitting in class or work with that uncomfortable post-gym grim all over you. Unless you are really running low on time, bring your shower gear.

9. Deodorant/Perfume

If you do find yourself running low on time and unable to take a quick shower, remember to pack some “cover-up.” Be sure to swipe on deodorant or spray perfume before you leave. It will mask the gym long enough.

10. Workout log

A workout log may not be for everybody; some people show up to the gym and with their gym routine in mind. For others a workout log may be help you find the best routines to maximize your workout.

Now that you have your gym bag packed, you should have no problem heading to the gym before your next lecture or lab.