Oy with the sequels already! Don’t waste time on “Ghost Rider” or “Journey 2”

There are currently two sequels plaguing the box office this weekend. "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" and "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" are a reminder of how the film industry likes to cheapen even its best movies with unnecessary sequels and prequels. It's as if the first "Ghost Rider" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" were not bad enough. Hollywood loves to dig an even deeper hole for itself with cringe-worthy sequels. I wish someone would make it stop.

Perhaps the worst offenders in the litany of shameful sequels scattered across contemporary cinema are the made-for-television sequels. It was not too long ago that ABC Family dared to disgrace the original "Mean Girls" with a TV movie sequel that was not really a sequel. In fact, "Mean Girls 2" had nothing to do with the original. I'm not sure what the point of soiling the "Mean Girls" title was.

Some sequels are intended to make producers a lot of money because they insist on riding the wave of success way past the shore. "The Hangover" is a prime example of a great film that was taken too far because it was so well received. "The Hangover Part II" did become the highest-grossing comedy of all time, but that is not an indication of quality. It was basically the same movie but in Thailand. Everyone who saw "The Hangover" and loved it got tricked into wasting money to see the sequel. I will admit that the original was so funny I didn't ever want it to end. That doesn't mean it never has to.

Some producers never know when to quit. Did "Saw" really require seven installments? How many ways can you put people into death traps? Horror films are notorious for squeezing out as many sequels as possible.

The most amusing sequels never end but run out of steam after the first theater release. The third and fourth sequel gets released on DVD and only the extremely bored or curious dare take a glimpse. "The Grudge" wannabe franchise is a prime example of this. I was sick of hearing about that crazy Japanese curse after the first movie. The sequels were just something to make fun of.

Most sequels are disappointing and frustrating. They are mere shadows of their originals. The only sequel I could admit to having outdone its predecessor is "The Dark Knight." A good sequel is one in a million.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Tuesdays. Follow @SwampCinema on Twitter.