Spring Break 2012: How to make the most of your vacation

This week is the last week before Spring Break, which means it’s time to get ready for whatever sort of vacation you may have planned. Wherever you’re headed — to the beach, on a cruise or to a foreign hot spot — there are a few ways to make sure you maximize your time away and truly have some fun.

Make your time count

If you’re an adventurous person, plan activities to do throughout the day. The last thing you want is to feel like your time (and money) is being wasted because you’re not fully enjoying yourself. But if you prefer to lounge and take it easy, do just that. The bottom line is: However you’d like to spend your time on vacay is what you should do. Do what makes you happy.

Leave your phone in the hotel room

Taking pictures and checking in on Facebook are fun, interactive ways to keep your friends updated. But on vacation, those sorts of things just aren’t necessary. The point of a vacation is to get away and relax, not to stay connected to your iPhone. So go ahead and leave it in the room, and if you have to, check it once or twice during the day. Without a constant swarm of texts, emails and status updates, you’ll be free to enjoy your time away.

Don’t forget your camera at home

Memories tend to fade, so make sure you have your camera to capture the best (and not-so-great) moments of your vacay. It’s easy to forget taking pictures while on vacation due to jam-packed days, so make it a point to record every special moment.

Be flexible

Weather happens, plans change and unforeseen circumstances occur. Instead of letting it ruin the vacation, embrace it. Not everything goes according to plan, so there’s no use fretting over it. Go with the flow and make new plans — remember to have fun.

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Mondays.