Survey finds majority of business schools accepting GRE

A survey of top business schools by Kaplan Test Prep found that a majority of the schools allow applicants to submit GRE scores as an alternative to the GMAT.

This is the first time since Kaplan began tracking the issue in 2009 that a majority of the schools have accepted the GRE, which traditionally has been used only for admission to non-MBA graduate programs, wrote Russell Schaffer, senior communications manager of Kaplan Test Prep, in an email.

The survey was based on responses from 265 of the top MBA programs in the U.S., including 16 of the top 25 schools, according to a press release by Schaffer. Fifty-two percent of the schools now accept GRE scores.

The survey also reported that lack of work experience isn't one of the main reasons applicants are rejected by business schools, according to the press release.

Low admissions exam scores were a bigger concern for 58 percent of the schools surveyed and a low undergraduate GPA was a red flag for 24 percent of the schools.

Lack of relevant work experience was a top concern for only 12 percent of business schools surveyed.