• December 17, 2014

Preparing for 'The Purge'

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:30 pm | Updated: 5:35 pm, Thu May 23, 2013.

Purge, noun, 1. To rid of whatever is impure or undesirable

Imagine one night a year, with a time limit of twelve hours, you could commit a crime and not get caught? Murder, rape, destruction of property. What if you had so much anger welled up inside of you and for this one night, you could release it and there would be no punishments or consequences? What would you do? 

Well in preparation for this fateful darkness, the Sandin family has holed themselves up in their home for the entire night, or at least that was plan.  Being a wealthy family, they were able to afford top security, to protect themselves from the violent world just outside their front door. But when one man (Edwin Hodge) cries for help in their front yard, the son, Charlie, (Max Burkholder), takes pity on him and disarms their safe-haven. Fatal mistake?  You bet.

To make matters worse, they are visited by masked murderers in search of the desperate man. With the threat of death to their entire family if the man in question is not returned to them within the hour, the family must fight to protect themselves and their home. But can they “survive the night”?

With prison overcrowding and crime running the streets, this night was created by the government to help lower the offense rate throughout the rest of the year.  And it worked.  In this world, unemployment is at 1 percent and the crime rate is almost non-existent.  “Just remember all the good the purge does” states Mary Sandin (Lena Headey). But is it worth it?

From the producers of Paranormal Activity and Sinister, two audience-favorite films, The Purge presents a new idea to the horror scene. Actors Ethan Hawke, the father, and Adelaide Kane, playing his daughter, join the cast. Director James DeMonaco has everyone hyped and ready for this movie to hit the big screen May 31; It would be in his best interest not to disappoint.

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at [email protected].

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
  • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
  • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
  • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
  • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.