This Week in Social Justice: We need feminism because...

When I heard about the women against feminism Tumblr I was shocked and confused. But when I read the reasons why these women were denouncing feminism it made a lot more sense. 

What they are attacking isn’t feminism; it’s an awful misinterpretation.

Unfortunately, feminism has gotten the reputation of being man-hating, belittling and often plain mean. If I thought that’s what feminism was, I wouldn’t be a fan either. Being a feminist doesn’t mean that you can’t want to be married and have children, or that you have to be pro-choice and a liberal.

So let’s clear this up.

Feminism is about elevating women to be social, economic and political equals of men. In America we are relatively safe as women, compared to our sisters around the world. However, even here women are met with discrimination, intimidation and violence. We need feminism to combat these injustices.

The feminist movement has granted me with many gifts like my right to vote and the ability to attend a university, amongst other things. I want to say thank you to feminism, and show you all why we need it today. 

• “We need feminism because our daughters should have the same opportunities as our sons.” –Karlie LaCroix, UF graduate
  • “I need feminism because people shouldn’t be shocked when I tell them that I am an engineer.” –Nicole Dudziak, UF graduate
  • “I need feminism because the female body should not be manipulated and used as an advertising campaign…or because ‘Go make me a sandwich’ T-shirts are sold.” –Emily Hazelton, UNC Chapel Hill student
  • “We need feminism because when I speak of gender inequality I am not taken seriously.” –Brittany Gosine, UF student  

And lastly, a personal reason:

• “I need feminism because I’ve had to have the cops call two different guys to tell them to stop harassing me, and I’m only 20 years old.”