Former Gator and current Pittsburgh Steelers running back Chris Rainey was arrested in Gainesville Thursday morning, said Gainesville Police Department spokesman Ben Tobias.

Rainey was arrested on a charge of simple battery, Tobias said. He slapped his girlfriend while arguing with her, according to a press release.

Witnesses told officers Rainey and his girlfriend were arguing over his cell phone, according to the release. She got into the Rainey’s roommate's car, and Rainey confronted her. He started pulling her out of the vehicle, according to the release.

After he slapped her, both fell on the ground. The girlfriend ran, and Rainey chased her -- his phone was in her bag. Rainey grabbed the bag, and they both fell again, according to the release. Neither suffered visible injuries.

Rainey was transported to the Alachua County Jail for booking.

While at UF in 2010, Rainey was arrested for aggravated stalking. He had allegedly sent his girlfriend at the time threatening text messages. She asked for the charges to be dropped.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Chris Alcantara at [email protected].

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.