After years of waiting, Norman Hall has a groundbreaking

<p>Leaders of the Norman Hall Rehabilitation project participate in a ceremonial groundbreaking <span class="aBn" data-term="goog_559226463"><span class="aQJ">Friday</span></span> at the Norman Hall Plaza. </p>

Leaders of the Norman Hall Rehabilitation project participate in a ceremonial groundbreaking Friday at the Norman Hall Plaza. 

John Mica, a former Florida congressman and UF education alumnus, held up a letter dated Feb. 4, 1988 during the Norman Hall groundbreaking ceremony Friday.

He said former UF president John Lombardi had sent it to Mica addressing the need for renovations to the education building.

“Sorry, John,” Lombardi had written. “I’m a little late.”

About 200 politicians, alumni, students and faculty members gathered Friday at Norman Hall Plaza to celebrate the renovation of UF’s education college that has been in the making for years. The college started construction with a “groundbreaking ceremony” that included speakers, cake and light refreshments of ice tea and water.

The UF College of Education Dean Glenn Good said the college and staff first began planning for this reconstruction since the 1980s.

“As long as I have been dean here at the College of Education, we’ve been talking about the need for rehabilitation of our beloved Norman Hall,” he said.

The $29 million renovation will take part in two phases, according to Alligator archives. Phase one began in December with Norman library and the third floor of the east Norman building. It is expected to be completed by early May. Phase two will be the rest of Norman with updated classrooms, study spaces and faculty offices.

Good, UF President Kent Fuchs, Florida Congressman Ted Yoho, Former Florida Congressman John Mica, UF Trustee Anita Zucker, College of Education Associate Dean Tom Dana and lead architect Joe Walker of Walker Architects were some of the speakers at the ceremony.

“With this project, we return Norman to its former glory,” Fuchs said.

Tom Dana, the education associate dean of academic affairs, said Norman Hall construction has already started on the east side of the building. However, the entire college will be closed off until May 15.

“I’m thrilled that there’s going to be some great places for students to hang out,” he said.

Anita Zucker, who graduated from the education college in 1972 and sits on the UF Board of Trustees, said the importance of updating Norman and the accomplishments the college has already achieved.

“Seeing what this university is able to bring to other places makes me so proud,” she said.