A UF student died Saturday after falling from the third floor of 13th Street Apartments, Gainesville Police said.

Ian Burns, 20, was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital after falling from the building, formerly known as University House apartments, Lt. Audrey Mazzuca said. GPD responded to the apartment, located at 725 NW 13th St., after multiple witnesses and friends who saw him fall called 911 at about 6:07 p.m.

Burns fell from the third floor balcony and several witnesses saw him fall, Lt. David Rowe said. Rowe said it is still unclear how Burns fell, and the fall is still under investigation.

“Our detectives are still following up on that,” he said. “It’s an open investigation.”

Detective Matthew Goeckel, a GPD spokesperson, said no foul play was suspected in the fall.

It is unknown if Burns lived at University House.

His family, who lives in West Palm Beach, was notified of his passing later Saturday night, Mazzuca said. The family had not made a formal statement to media, as of press time.

Burns was a mechanical engineering senior, said John Hines, a UF spokesperson.

The College of Engineering hasn’t yet made plans for Burns’ memorial, Hines said. He said Burns’ death is a tragedy.