Yoga studio hosts Harry Potter-themed yoga class

At the start of Saturday’s yoga class, the instructor, Maggie Rucker, gave participants a yoga mat — and a wand.

Flow Space yoga studio, located at 117 NW 16th Ave., hosted its first Harry Potter-themed class for about 37 students. The 8 p.m. class was based off of the first book in the series, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” A space in the class cost $22.

Alexandra Perfetti, a UF finance sophomore, said she read about the event on Facebook and wore a Harry Potter shirt to her first Flow Space yoga class.

“Harry Potter has a special place in my heart, so I had to make sure I came to this class,” the 19-year-old said.

Rucker, the Flow Space yoga studio manager and co-owner, wrote an interactive script based on the first Harry Potter for the class. She wore a scarlet and gold tie, a black robe and Harry Potter’s signature round glasses. Rucker said she planned the October event to celebrate Halloween and made the wands herself.

“I saw the viral video of the Harry Potter yoga class in Toronto,” she said. “I jumped on the idea.”

Floating candles, purple cobwebs, handmade wands and chocolates shaped like Harry Potter’s golden snitch decorated the studio.

Rucker said she hopes to base her next Harry Potter yoga class off of the second book, “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,” and eventually incorporate the entire series through multiple classes.

“It was the most fun I’ve had teaching a class, and I can’t wait to do it again,” she said.