More classes focusing on how computers relate to and read humans are on the way for UF students. 

UF hired four former Clemson University computer scientists to work in the Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering in the College of Engineering. 

They specialize in human-centered computing, which is any interaction between a computer and a human in which the computer adapts to the user. Think Pokémon video games— players’ progress is greatly determined by the Pokémon they catch, the people they meet and the places they go, which will rarely be the same as someone else’s.

Benjamin Lok, associate professor and director of the Digital Arts and Science Program, said the team will allow the school to offer many benefits to students, including research and new courses.

“They’re going to get a variety of classes that we just can’t offer right now,” Lok said.

Wilson Lam, a 20-year-old UF biological engineering junior, said that he would be interested in taking a course with the new faculty.

“I think new faculty will bring different ways of thinking,” Lam said.

He said he would like to see programs that interact with students as part of the initiatives.

“It’s just another way of learning,” Lam said.

Currently, there are three members on UF’s human-centered computing team. The new team will research how to improve interactions between humans and computers.

Lok said he welcomes the expansion and the ability to do large projects with more faculty.

“It’s really going to allow us to offer more classes to students and to do large research projects that are on a national scale,” Lok said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 5/22/2014 under the headline "UF hires human-centered computing experts from Clemson"]