Students sat in a dark room watching a video of two women kissing Monday night.

The video was an introduction to “The Great Divide: Escaping the Stereotype,” an event hosted by the Black Student Union in the Rion Ballroom at 7 p.m.

Following the video, about 60 students traveled between three stations to hear student organizations discuss their own stereotypes.

At the first station, representatives from Islam on Campus discussed the misconceptions people have about their traditional clothes.

The UF Panhellenic Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Interfraternity Council representatives led a discussion at the second station that focused on the myths of Greek life.

The Jamaican-American Student Association had an open discussion at the third station, where representatives of the group asked students to tell them Jamaican stereotypes.

“I used to always associate dreads with Jamaicans,” said telecommunication freshman Shanice Richardson.

The event ended with a game led by students in a leadership and development class.

The game consisted of reading a statement aloud relating to ethnicity, race and social stigmas, and whenever students related to a statement they would stand.

Every student in the room stood when asked if he or she knew a gay, lesbian or bisexual person.

Students were then asked to stand if they considered themselves an ally to those people. Only half the students stood back up.

“It was very shocking,” said Brittney Williams, an education freshman. “It’s like people know about it and don’t support it. Obviously America still has to come together.”