UF Student Health Care Center out of flu shots until next Monday

Even the UF Student Health Care Center isn’t immune to flu shot shortages.

In just two weeks, the SHCC ran out of flu shots after vaccinating 4,000 students, faculty and staff.

A new shipment is expected to arrive Friday, and flu shots will resume Monday.

SHCC spokeswoman Catherine Seemann said the increase in vaccinations wasn’t surprising after last year’s active flu season received national media coverage.

September’s demand nearly doubled last year’s turnout of 2,565 doses administered.

“We were not expecting to vaccinate that many people,” Seemann said. “That’s a huge jump for us.”

Nursing junior Sarah Aitchison, 21, couldn’t risk another day without an updated vaccine; she spends two days a week working at a hospital.

Although she prefers getting her flu shots on campus, Aitchison went to CVS on Monday for her flu shot. Without her insurance, the shot would’ve cost $31.99.

Flu shots will be available at the SHCC Infirmary Building, Special Clinics department or at the Health Science Center on a walk-in basis on Monday through Friday from 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/8/2013 under the headline "Cover that cough: UF out of flu shots until Monday"