Uber’s first weekend leaves students in rain

Corrado Minardi opened up the Uber app this weekend expecting a free ride, but there were no cars available. 

Minardi, a 22-year-old UF political science senior, was one of the students who took to Twitter this weekend to denounce the service’s Labor Day promotion. It had promised five free rides through Monday, but few people were picked up.

“I thought, ‘Oh, you know, that’s cool, I can get five rides during the weekend’,” Minardi said. “But if there are no cars available, then I can’t take the rides, so it’s like a useless promotion.”

He said he had to either walk or get rides from friends throughout the weekend.

“I just don’t see why they would offer that if they can’t deliver,” he said.

Uber spokesman Taylor Bennett said once Uber grows throughout the city, more drivers will be available. 

“In testing phases like this, in the first couple days as we continue to ramp up and bring on more partners, wait times might be a little longer,” he said. 

Bennett said the rain may have increased the demand for rides. 

Matt Collins, manager of Gainesville Cab Co., said the rain may have hurt business because people wanted to get home instead of standing in the rain waiting. He also said business was normal despite Uber’s presence. 

“It’s hard to say,” Collins said. “They haven’t been here very long.”

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 9/2/2014 under the headline "Uber’s first weekend leaves students in rain"]