New Student Recreation and Fitness Center renovations equipped for Fall student rush

Waves of eager, fitness-enthused students are rolling onto campus for Fall, and the UF Student Recreation and Fitness Center is ready for the crowd.

The center’s upper-level strength and conditioning room renovations were completed June 28, in time for Summer B.

According to a Department of Recreational Sports news release, the makeover included three new benches, two squat racks, new weights and seven treadmills.

Flooring in the room was also replaced, along with modifications to strength training machines.

The treadmills now have built-in television screens so students can personalize their entertainment while burning calories.

Andy Howard, associate director for marketing and communications for the department, said the renovations cost about $271,693.

He said the goal was to enhance the student fitness experience at the center.

“We added 700 square feet of space and equipped the room with popular equipment that students like,” he said.

Renovators took down walls in order to provide more room for students, which also included using former office spaces for the expansion project.

Sonya Vachhani said she was surprised by the new look, but she appreciates that wait times for machines will be reduced.

“More people can work out instead of us waiting in line,” said the 20-year-old UF biology junior.

Vachhani said that she feels the room is more condensed than before but the gym is well equipped for Fall.

Erika Botero, a 24-year-old UF environmental engineering senior, said she enjoys the new lockers, which differ from the original open boxes that were used for storage.

In addition to the strength and conditioning room, the center also houses rooms for exercise classes, racquetball rooms and a basketball court.

Howard said workers were creative with designing the layout and overcame the challenges that come with reusing existing space.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 8/23/2013 under the headline "Student Recreation and Fitness Center equipped for students"

Students exercise in the Student Recreation & Fitness Center Thursday. Renovations to the center began June 17 and were completed within two weeks, in time for Summer B.