UF, Spain launch research satellites

More than rain is over Spain's plains.

A collaboration between Spain and UF initiated research in small-satellite technology Friday in Madrid.

Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll and Spain's Minister of Science and Innovation, Cristina Garmendia, signed a letter of understanding on Friday, according to a Space Florida news release.

The collaboration is to initiate technological development for agriculture in food and the aging population.

"[The satellites] have the potential to enable rapid turnaround and low-cost experiments in space," said Eric Ford, 33, an associate professor in astronomy.

Spain has been building its own small satellites for years but had to launch from Russia and France due to lack of launching resources.

Kennedy Space Center will help integrate UF's experimental satellites with Spain's satellites, according to an agreement signed in September.

In an effort to cut costs, satellites will be attached to larger spacecraft sent by entities like the Defense Department.

The first launch could happen as soon as February 2012, said astronomy department Chairman Rafael Guzman in a news release. He was in Spain over the weekend and could not be reached for comment due to his travel schedule.

Once in place, the satellites, which range in size from about 4 cubic inches to 3 cubic feet, will be able to detect and monitor crops for diseases.

The UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences will lead in trying to find a new technology to help growers. In Spain, a similar agency will begin parallel research, according to the Space Florida release.

The agreement offers more access to space for UF and Spain to continue these projects.

"Going to space is a big deal," Ford said. "This could benefit the commercial space industry in Florida."

Carroll said she hopes the research will create jobs in the industry as well.

"As space technologies move from the laboratory toward the commercial market, more than ever collaboration is needed," she wrote in an email.