Wearing black arm bands emblazoned with the transgender symbol and holding flickering candles in the cool November air, more than 40 people gathered Friday on the Plaza of Americas to remember.

Young and old stood together in to remember people they’ve known and hundreds they’ve never met.

They bowed their heads as they remembered the lives of transgender people and mourned the deaths of hundreds of others killed in hate crimes. The gathering was part of the Transgender Day of Remembrance memorial at UF.

This year marks the 11th year that UF has observed the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

The number of transgender deaths this year is also the highest since the Day of Remembrance began.

The event also celebrated a victory for the transgender community. The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act was passed in the House of Representatives on Oct. 29, providing money to law enforcement to prosecute hate crimes wherein the victim was selected because of race, gender, sexual orientation or disability.

Speeches focused not only on violent crimes of the past but also looked forward to the hope this act will bring.

UF’s memorial service included several speeches, a reading of the names of those who were killed this year in transgender-related hate crimes, a candlelight vigil and a meditation circle.

Donna Lee, a transgender activist and ordained minister, led everyone in a time of meditation.

“Let us believe that justice and love will prevail, hopefully sooner than later,” Lee said.

According to the Transgender Day of Remembrance Web site, there have been 143 transgender homicides in 2009, and it is estimated that an anti-transgender murder occurs every three days.

Both non-transgender and transgender people attended.

Patricia Sullivan, a 65-year-old transgender, read about the event online and said it meant a lot.

“I lived all my life as someone I wasn’t, and as of last May, I was finally able to be myself. It’s been wonderful,” Sullivan said.

The vigil was sponsored by the UF LGBT Affairs Office, the Office of Multicultural and Diversity Affairs, Student Government and Pride Student Union.