Student voted ‘Gentleman of the Year’ on Facebook

David DiVirgilio showed that UF boys really “are the squarest” when he became the Network of Enlightened Women’s Gentleman of the Year Wednesday.

“At first I just laughed,” DiVirgilio said, referring to his sister entering him in the contest.

DiVirgilio was one of 13 contestants in the Gentlemen’s Showcase, a national contest that took place throughout March. Contestants were nominated by a woman posting either a video, picture or note describing what made her nominee a gentleman on the Network of Enlightened Women’s Facebook fan page.

Anyone could vote by “liking” the post.

Contestants were from colleges across the nation, including Arizona State University, where the competition started. But the final vote came down to a race between DiVirgilio and a contestant from The King’s College, a small college in New York City.

When voting ended at midnight on Wednesday, DiVirgilio won with 380 “likes.”

DiVirgilio said he never considered himself a gentleman before the contest.

“I’m not one who is going to get recognition for opening doors for girls or pulling out chairs,” he said.

But his sister’s entry proved that DiVirgilio was a gentleman because of his character, not just his actions.

“While the sweet things David does are special and endearing, it [is] his quiet strength and his penchant to do right and treat others with kindness that make him a genuine gentleman,” Melanie DiVirgilio wrote.

As Gentleman of the Year, DiVirgilio won $100 to Mark’s Prime Steakhouse.

DiVirgilio said he wishes he could take his sister to dinner, but she is a UF alumna and won’t be in Gainesville anytime soon. He said he plans to wait to use the gift card with a girl of interest.

“I guess I’ll just keep it in my back pocket and see what happens,” he said.

The club is also hosting a “Celebrate David” event on the Plaza of the Americas April 15 at 7 p.m.