UF ‘just as great’ as an Ivy League school, site says

An education at UF is just as good as going to an Ivy League school, according to one website’s college guide.

The guide, called “4 Top Colleges Just As Great As the Ivy League Schools” and written by Justin Douglas for PolicyMic, looked at the cost of tuition, freshmen retention rates and graduation rates as criteria. California Polytechnic State University, the State University of New York at Stony Brook and the University of Virginia joined UF on the list.

Douglas wrote in an email that his intention was for students and their parents “to consider public universities as great schools.”

He also said public universities typically offer greater support for students from diverse racial and class backgrounds.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said university officials were proud the school was included in the list.

“The bottom line is we absolutely believe that is correct,” Sikes said. “We have a great program and provide a great value to our students.”

Logan Goede, a 17-year-old business administration freshman, said he has only been a student at UF for a week, but he applied believing it was the best school in Florida.

“It just is the best,” Goede said. “Everybody knows it.”