Infinity Hall students test new laundry availability app

App.jpg
App.jpg

Students at Infinity Hall are getting free laundry for testing out a new app that tracks the machines’ availability.

Earlier this month, students at Infinity Hall started using Washlava, an app through which students can pay for laundry, see which units are available, reserve washers and dryers and see if machines are functional, said Jamie Sewell, the app’s chief marketing officer.

Residents are receiving free laundry for the rest of the Fall semester in exchange for their feedback, she said. According to statistics from the app, more than 1,000 wash and dry cycles have been completed so far.

Controllers placed inside of the machines give the company statistics on how often students are doing laundry, Sewell said. Sunday nights are the most popular time.

Lights on the back of each washer and dryer indicate whether the unit is available, she said. A blue light means the washer is reserved, a green light indicates the washer is open and a red light means the washer is in use.

Students can keep track of the machines on their Apple and Android phones, she said. The Tampa-based startup company hopes to expand the app to all UF residence halls in the future.

Washlava is trying to raise about $3 million for its first round of funding, commonly known as series A funding, in order to expand, she said. The company has raised $1.8 million so far, she said.

Infinity Hall is the first place to test the app, Sewell said.

“It’s been positive feedback, but it’s also been good information for us to learn about things we should consider doing differently later,” she said.

Infinity Hall is tailored to entrepreneurial students, so it is fitting for the beta testing, she said.

“When we were in Infinity Hall, the day after we launched, I was actually hearing a student talking to an investor, and they were trying to raise series A (funding) also,” Sewell said. “It was kind of cool to be in an innovation center where students are at the same point that we are.”

Aristotle Koukoulidis, an 18-year-old UF biochemistry freshman, said he has had a positive experience using the app so far. Before the app, Infinity’s laundry machines used to double charge his card.

“It’s definitely more convenient to just pay on your phone because you just bring your phone with you — you don’t need anything else,” Koukoulidis said.