Six times a week, the Walking Gators lace up their sneakers and walk together on campus.

This Thursday, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., participants in the exercise program will distribute information on the Reitz Union Colonnade.

The program started in partnership with UF first lady Chris Machen's Healthy Gators initiative in 2008. Its goal is to encourage UF faculty, staff and students to de-stress and exercise during their lunch breaks, said Jane Emmeree, chairwoman of Healthy Gators programming and communications work group.

During Thursday's event, team members will hand out Walking Gators Dri-Fit T-shirts and pedometers to people who show their Gator 1 IDs.

Starting Tuesday, this semester's Walking Gators program will debut a more flexible format. In addition to offering scheduled walks, the program will allow participants to walk whenever they are available.

This semester, the Healthy Gators hope to feature walkers' stories and pictures on its Facebook page.

"We're going to focus on the stories behind the walking," Emmeree said.

The Walking Gators will hold two scheduled walks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Each route is about a mile and takes 15 to 20 minutes to complete. The Pony Field Express route, which leaves from the Cancer and Genetics Research Building, starts at 11:30 a.m. The Uphill Challenge route, which leaves from the Housing Office, starts at 12:15 p.m.

Public relations freshman Brittny Perez, 18, will be a new Walking Gator this semester. She will take on the Uphill Challenge next week.

"I love how this program makes exercise fun," she said.