About 200 people traveled to a garage sale at the UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension Bookstore on Wednesday to buy donated household items.

The department made about $800 during the event, which lasted from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. All of the proceeds from the items provided by the IFAS Communications Services employees will be donated to the UF Campaign for Charities, said Pam Bobilin, IFAS communications services special events and projects planner.

“We’re really excited,” Bobilin said. “We thought we’d get around $500, but we just didn’t know what to expect.”

Bobilin said more than half of the 3,000 total items including glassware, books, used clothes, board games and small kitchen appliances, were sold. The unsold items will be donated to Haven Hospice, she said.

More than 30 IFAS Communications Services employees donated goods to the garage sale. Bobilin said the department began asking for donations at the beginning of the month.

Eliana Pabon, a UF telecommunication senior, is an intern with IFAS Communications Services. Pabon, 22, said she came to support the event and check out the items for sale.

“I think that this is a great event and is for a great cause,” Pabon said. “It seems like they sold a lot of stuff.”