Faculty senate votes to oppose concealed carry on UF campus

<p>Members of the UF faculty senate cast their vote to pass a resolution opposing concealed carry on Thursday in the Reitz Union Auditorium.</p>

Members of the UF faculty senate cast their vote to pass a resolution opposing concealed carry on Thursday in the Reitz Union Auditorium.

About 90 UF faculty members passed a resolution to oppose the legislation for the concealed carry of weapons Thursday afternoon.

Professors debated the issue at the United Faculty of Florida meeting at 3 p.m. Thursday in the Reitz Union Auditorium, which was UF President Kent Fuchs’ first meeting.  

A new bill — House Bill 4005 — would allow concealed carry permit holders to carry their weapons freely on campus.

In the resolution, the UFF said the majority of faculty, students, administrators, law enforcement officers and student mental health professionals believe that prohibiting firearms on campus is essential to an overall campus safety plan.

The resolution said passing the legislation would create an undeniable potential for accidental shootings. There are issues when it comes to student mental health. The resolution cited the danger that comes with easy access to guns when students are stressed and around professors.

It read that dormitories would become unsafe when students are under the influence, and the responsibility of protecting lives should not shift from trained law enforcement officers to untrained private individuals.

Bruce Welt, a UF agriculture and biological engineering professor, was one of the eight who voted against the resolution. Votes were shown by holding up a yellow slip of paper.

He used a PowerPoint to explain his views.

“I understand the spirit of this amendment, but there is nothing stopping someone from driving on campus and shooting,” Welt said.

Responsible adults follow the rules, he said, but terrorists and criminals don’t. Concealed carry would allow students and faculty to protect themselves.

Maggie Temple-Smith, a UF law professor, took the microphone next and said she was concerned about the proliferation of guns on campus.

“If I can be sure of expert shots, even with panic, I would feel more inclined to vote against it,” she said. 

A shooter will not be deterred knowing some of the audience may be armed, and it could be dangerous if students are stressed, intoxicated or angry at teachers.

Welt rebutted, arguing that more guns do not mean more crimes. Guns would be used in emergencies as a method of preparedness and self-defense.

“A gun-free zone equals 100 percent exposure,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 2/27/2015 under the headline “Faculty opposes concealed carry on UF campus”]