Gainesville Police arrested a UF student after officers reported the student crashed into a pole while drunk driving, causing about $3,500 of damage.

Officers arrested 21-year-old Cody Dawson Creagan on charges of DUI damage to property and leaving the scene of an accident, according to an arrest report.

At about 4:45 p.m. Sunday, a witness called 911 to report a white BMW that hit a pole on Northwest Sixth Avenue and drove off. The caller said the pole was tipping over, according to the report.

Officers later found the car in the 1800 block of Northwest Sixth Avenue. Creagan was in the driver’s seat while the passenger checked the car for damage, according to the report.

When the officer asked for a driver’s license, Creagan handed him a debit card. According to the report, he said, “My life is f*****. I had too many Mimosas at lunch. I didn’t realize I was intoxicated.”

Creagan could not perform all of the field sobriety tests and would not provide a breath sample, according to the report. During questioning, he refused to comment.

He also declined to comment to an Alligator reporter Monday night.

Officers booked Creagan into the Alachua County Jail at about 7:46 p.m. Sunday. He was released the following afternoon.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 4/22/2014 under the headline "UF student arrested on DUI charges after crashing into pole"]