UF student arrested for stabbing mother to death

Pre-med student stabbed mother because she irritated him

A UF pre-med student was arrested Saturday for allegedly stabbing his mother to death at their home in Polk County.

Emmanuel Espinoza, 21, drove from Gainesville to his mother’s home in Frostproof, Florida for a family event. While driving home, Espinoza decided he would kill his mother, according to a Polk County Sheriff’s Office news release.

The stabbing occurred just after 2 p.m. Saturday at his mother’s front door, where she was on the phone with a family member. Espinoza continued stabbing her until she fell and died.

Right after, he called 911 and confessed. Espinoza told authorities he’s wanted to kill her for many years because she got on his nerves. 

When asked to describe his relationship with her, Espinoza rated it an “8 out of 10” and said he loved her, but she still irritated him. 

Elvia Espinoza, his mother, was a 46-year-old second-grade teacher at Ben Hill Griffin Elementary School in Frostproof. 

“Her family, friends, students, and colleagues at the school and with Polk County Public Schools are in our prayers,” the Polk County Sheriff’s Office said.

Emmanuel was booked into the Polk County Jail on a charge of first-degree murder. He has not been trespassed from UF properties as of Sunday morning.

Contact Daniel Bednar at dbednar@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Danielbednar5.

Daniel Bednar

Daniel Bednar is a first-year political science major and the Criminal Justice reporter for The Alligator. When he's not writing, you can find him scuba diving in the Keys or flying airplanes.