KISSIMMEE — Nine years ago, President Barack Obama was still paying off his student loans.

Obama stood in front of a crowd of about 3,000 adult and student spectators Saturday to speak about everything from education to health care. The speech was part of Obama’s two-day Florida tour to sway voters in the swing state.

During his speech, Obama said his administration has made progress to help America’s youth, including health care legislation and changes in financial aid.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Obama understands the concerns of students, especially because of the student loans he spent years paying off.

Jen Psaki, the traveling campaign press secretary for the Obama campaign, said the campaign aims to remind people of the importance of being politically involved.

“He wanted to speak directly to the people of the state about the choice they’re facing in November and remind them what’s at stake,” Psaki said.

Obama further rallied the crowd by highlighting what he has done and will do for the country’s youth. He said he plans to give all Americans the opportunity to compete in today’s job market.

If re-elected, he proposed to cut the growth of college tuition in half. He also said that his environmental agenda would create more jobs in the United States.

“It is a vital interest of young people in this country that we do something about our dependence on foreign oil,” Carney said.

Investing in all forms of energy, such as biofuels, wind and solar, will create more jobs in the U.S., Carney said.

Although Obama has made various campaign visits to large universities like Ohio State University and the University of Colorado, Psaki didn’t mention whether Obama would make an appearance at UF in the future.

UF College Democrats President William Farrell said he would love it if Obama came to speak at UF.

“I would want to hear about his experience in the White House and his plans for the future,” said Farrell, 20.

Farrell, an environmental science major, commended the president’s work to lower interest rates on student loans as well as insuring young adults through the Affordable Care Act.

“It’s a tough economy,” said Farrell. “Coming out of college with health care is reassuring.”

The bus tour started in Seminole and Kissimmee on Saturday and continued to Melbourne and West Palm Beach on Sunday.

“We’re here for two days, because we don’t take any voter for granted,” Psaki said.

By the end of the event, spectators were sweaty but nonetheless roaring with applause for Obama’s 36-minute speech.

“We’re not going back,” he said. “We are moving forward.”