Errict Rhett, Florida’s career rushing leader, accused of fraud

Errict Rhett, Florida football’s career rushing leader, has been accused of filing fraudulent liens and conveying a fraudulent deed to avoid foreclosure on his Gainesville home.

According to documents obtained by the Alligator, Rhett purchased a home, located at 5328 NW 72nd St., in 2005 in the Woodfield subdivision from former Florida football player Willie Jackson. 

In 2013, the Woodfield Community Association alleged Rhett’s house was in deplorable condition, violating the conditions and restrictions mandated by the subdivision.

On March 9, Alachua County judge Victor Hulslander ordered Rhett pay the Woodfield Community Association $69,169.75, including $64,522 in attorneys’ fees, according to the documents. 

On the same day, Rhett filed a pair of liens on the house — one valued at $127,000 from E. Rhett Construction, owned by Rhett, and one valued at $395,000 from Alco Construction Corp., owned by Rhett’s brother, Michael.

He also filed a warranty deed — dated July 15, 2013, but filed March 9 — transferring the deed of the home from The Errict Rhett Foundation to E. Rhett Construction, according to the documents.

The Woodfield Community Association filed a motion against The Errict Rhett Foundation on May 11 alleging the liens and warranty deed were invalid and directing the Alachua County Sheriff to sell Rhett’s house to pay the $69,169.75 sum owed.

On June 16, The Errict Rhett Foundation filed a Suggestion of Bankruptcy, which was dismissed after Rhett failed to meet with creditors, according to the documents. The Woodfield Community Association’s case against Rhett is scheduled to be heard Friday at 9 a.m. at the Alachua County Courthouse.

Rhett, a native of Pembroke Pines, played for the Gators and coach Steve Spurrier from 1990 to 1993. He finished his UF career with 4,163 yards rushing and 34 touchdowns, breaking the record held by NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith. 

Rhett was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection in 1991 and 1993 and was named the Most Valuable Player in the Gators’ 41-7 victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers in the 1994 Sugar Bowl. Rhett was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round of the 1994 NFL Draft. He played seven seasons before retiring. 

He was inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005.