Reitz, Fresh Food Company compost in sustainability efforts

UF took a major step this week toward its initiative of Zero Waste by 2015.

The Reitz Union and Fresh Food Company locations have started composting after recently signing a contract with WCA, a waste and recycling management company.

According to UF’s Living Green website, “composting is the biological decomposition of organic waste such as food or plant material by bacteria, fungi, worms and other organisms under controlled aerobic ... conditions.”

Taylor Cremo, an account executive for WCA, said this is an “easy behavior change” on the path to sustainability. This relatively small change could end up making a big impact on UF’s waste stream, she said.

A 2009 study reported about 15 percent of UF’s total waste was from food waste alone, Cremo said.

She said the dining halls produce about 2,000 pounds of food waste every day.

Cremo said she wants this decision to make an impact on how all UF students view sustainability.

“My hope is that Florida Gators leave this university with an understanding that waste is a resource and live their lives accordingly,” Cremo said.

But this isn’t the first time UF has put its composting efforts to good use.

WCA and UF composted more than 50,000 pounds of waste during the 2013 football season.

Some students on campus said they think this is a positive change for the university.

Amanda DeCanio, a 20-year-old UF environmental engineering sophomore, said she is impressed by the university’s decision to start composting.

“It is an outward and very public demonstration to students, staff, professors and the Gainesville community of UF’s commitment to the environment and Zero Waste initiative,” DeCanio said. “This is very telling and proves we should be on the lookout for future changes to UF.”

Kyle Rodriguez, a 21-year-old UF sustainability junior, said he also thinks this program has the potential to be successful.

“I feel like it’s a great step forward,” Rodriguez said. “Not only does it reduce the amount of waste at the Reitz Union, but it also serves to educate students about the ... ways you can live a sustainable lifestyle.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/27/2014 under the headline "Reitz, Fresh Food Company compost in sustainability efforts"]