IFAS researchers single out sweeter, earlier-growing strawberries

Researchers with UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences have continued to improve the freshness and flavor of Florida-grown strawberries.

Strawberries are cultivated based on specific traits, including flavor, color, size and amount produced.

The institute’s latest strawberry strands successes include Winterstar and Florida Sensation.

The Winterstar has a flavor that is less acidic than normal strawberries, creating a sweeter taste, said Ted Campbell, executive director of the Florida Strawberry Growers Association.

The Florida Sensation is known to have a desirable taste, but some say its best attribute is having early production yield throughout the year.

“The Florida Sensation strand has a very steady production. This means the strand may produce strawberries even before Christmas, which is very early,” Campbell said. “This strand is very lucrative.”

The two breeds have been produced through marker-assisted breeding in a matter of five years, Campbell said. Through traditional breeding, strands take more than 10 years, with 30,000 to 100,000 crossings to show promise.

“Through genetic mapping, we saw the promise in these strands and saw it as important to move into patent,” Campbell said. “Thanks to marker-assisted breeding, we have a road map to see where we want to make modifications.”

UF is now looking to negotiate with parties interested in licensing and growing the variety.

The strawberries will be planted in early October and will be harvested after Thanksgiving until Easter. The plants are picked every three days in a four-month period.

Fresh, Florida-grown strawberries are available to consumers from December until April, said Brody Griffith, a 22-year-old natural resource conservation junior.

“Some of the best-tasting strawberries are grown in Florida,” he said.

The strawberries won’t be labeled by variety. Winterstar will be available in grocery aisles this winter, while Florida Sensation is expected to be available in 2014.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/16/2013 under the headline "UF IFAS researchers breed sweeter strawberries earlier"