UF Homecoming’s Education Celebration staff will present the first-ever Morrill Act Award to a student, faculty member, student organization or faculty organization that exemplifies UF’s land grant mission.

The award recognizes the 150th anniversary of the act, which gave Americans the chance to attend universities, said Education Celebration director Hanna Gehr.

The winner will be announced at the Education Celebration during the Swamp Symphony Oct. 28 on Flavet Field.

He or she will receive a plaque, two tickets to Gator Growl and acknowledgement at the Homecoming parade.

Nominees will be judged by winners at last year’s Education Celebration, Gehr, and the Dean of the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Teri Balser.

“The signing of the Morrill Act changed our trajectory as a nation forever and for the better,” Balser said. “The Morrill Act of 1862 represents a moment in time where the United States as a country made a bold statement about the value of education and its importance for our growth and success as a nation.”

The application can be found online at www.gatorgrowl.org/homecoming.

Hard copy applications can be picked up in the Florida Blue Key office on the third floor of the Reitz Union. All nominations are due Oct. 10.