Gov. Rick Scott announced Tuesday that 11 state colleges have accepted a four-year, $10,000 tuition plan, which brings the total to 23 schools.

With the announcement, every state school that offers a bachelor’s degree in the Florida College System has committed to Scott’s higher education affordability plan.

He formed the plan to create more jobs and offer affordable higher education for state residents.

Santa Fe College was one of the first schools to support the plan. The college announced its participation shortly after Scott announced the initiative in November.

Jackson Sasser, SFC president, said he was enthusiastic about the program.

“We immediately endorsed it because it’s a symbol of Santa Fe’s desire to provide access to students,” he said.

Sasser said SFC’s tuition ranges from about $11,000 to about $13,000 for the six bachelor’s degrees the college offers.

As part of the $10,000 plan, Sasser said the college will cut the cost of attendance by offering more online classes, recruiting more students with AP and dual-enrollment credits and block tuition.

Sasser said that, with careful planning and financial management, meeting the $10,000 goal is a possibility for SFC.

“When you can get alignment between a governor’s office, an institute of higher learning and benefit students, it’s a good deal,” he said.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.