<p>UF Supreme Court Chief Justice Matt Michel swore in the newly elected student senators Tuesday evening in the Reitz Union.</p>

UF Supreme Court Chief Justice Matt Michel swore in the newly elected student senators Tuesday evening in the Reitz Union.

Newly elected and re-elected student senators raised their right hands and pledged as their victories were approved Tuesday night.

UF Supervisor of Elections Stephen Davis presented the Spring 2013 Student Body election results before the new senators were sworn in. The senators presented then validated the results.

UF Supreme Court Chief Justice Matt Michel swore in the 50 new senators who were elected last week based on their colleges and classifications.

The Student Senate held two meetings Tuesday: one with the old senators and one with the newly elected ones.

As the new term starts, senators have to vote for a new Student Senate President and Senate President Pro-Tempore.

Senators nominated Sen. Lauren Verno and Sen. Morgan Vollrath to replace former Senate President and Student Body President-elect Christina Bonarrigo.

Verno won with 67 to 22 votes.

“I’m ready to serve the students and make the Senate greater than its ever been before,” Verno said after the meeting.

Sen. Cory Yeffet was elected as the new senate president pro-tempore to replace Daniel Landesberg, who resigned Tuesday.

“I had a good run in the Senate,” Landesberg said after the meeting. “I’d like to give some younger people the opportunity to serve a role here and impact the experience of students on campus.”

Yeffet won by 40 votes against Sen. John Bryan.

“I’m looking forward to the upcoming term,” Yeffet said after the meeting.

Michel swore in Verno and Yeffet to their new positions, which took effect during the second meeting.

Before the new senators were inducted, senators who were leaving gave farewell speeches thanking colleagues and giving advice to new senators.

Sen. Rachel Kellerman said goodbye to her friends after two years in the Senate.

“We all get involved on campus for different reasons,” she said. “We’re all here for one reason — for the students.”

Sen. Kyle Collins left the Senate on a different note.

“I don’t have the time nor the patience to say everything that’s wrong with this body of people so with that I’ll say goodbye,” he said.

Bonarrigo chronicled her experience as a four-time senator. She reminded senators to remember their districts, colleges and residence halls, and to not get lost in the big projects.

During Student Body President Tj Villamil’s report in the first meeting, he addressed the Students Party. He said although a prominent minority party is the check and balance of the Senate, the Students Party has weighed down SG with its rhetoric.

“The Students Party has no respect for the Swamp Party,” Villamil said.

He also congratulated the Swamp Party on a historic election.

“This is a Student Government you can be proud of,” he said.

Contact Colleen Wright at cwright@alligator.org.